Lilypie6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday

Too much choice, too little time to do it ALL.

Tonight Már introduced me to TED, the conference in California where 1000 experts and geniuses come together every year and talk about their great ideas. Már selected a few really interesting talks for me to watch on their website ... and that's what I did for basically the whole evening.
One of these talks I watched was with a Barry Schwartz (http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/93) about "the paradox of choice", how much simpler things are when you only have one or a few things to choose between, and how complicated and frustrating life gets and unhappy people get when they have too many choices to make. I loved his talk and thought he was absolutely right, when there are few things to choose between your expectations are low so you are sometimes pleasantly surprised, but when you're confronted with too many choices your expectations are set higher and are more often disappointed ... so even though the choices we make when we have a lot to choose from, are better than when we have little to choose from, we're more likely to be unhappy with our choice because our expectations were set so high!

After having spent the whole evening watching geniuses talk passionately about their interests, I started browsing the web for my own interests. I stumbled across sites with belly dancing in Iceland, I read almost everything there is to read about it, watched all the Icelandic belly dance videos on u-tube ... and more ...
I got so excited about belly dancing that I just wanted to jump up and sign up at Magadanshúsið again.

But then I remembered that there are things in the way of me doing that. There is karate. I love karate, I've only just started practicing it again and I don't ever want to stop doing karate, I even want to become a karate instructor one day. Then I also remembered that I waiting to get to try out salsa at SalsaIceland, I really want to try it out, I'm sure I'll like it and have a lot of fun learning it. Then there's also Tribal belly dance. When I went to see Josy's last belly dance show, I fell in love with Rositsa's tribal belly dancing ... then there's always the guest belly dance teachers at Kramhúsið, I have yet to try learning with them, I've always wanted to ... and I also would love to take up couples dancing with Már again, that was a lot of fun and we were always planning to try going to the group "Komið að dansa" together.

Too many exciting choices are my problem, it doesn't matter what choice I make, I'll always be disappointed that I didn't make all the other ones as well!!!

1 afskipti:

At 6/03/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hæ sæta!
Hrikalega ertu með skemmtilegar frásagnir! Ég las brandarann á annari síðu hjá þér um mömmu testið, ef þú fellur á prófinu þarftu að vera pabbinn... hahahaha. Þú ert æði. Og eplin falla greinilega ekki langt frá eikinni :)

Ég kom nú samt til að segja takk fyrir commentið þitt :) gaman að heyra svona frá einhverjum eins og þér.

Kv,
Brynja hiphop, reggae og belly... too many choices!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home