Lilypie6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday

Happy little worker

I've found my calling ... in the thearte. You might think you're having a deja'vous when you hear me say this, but I don't think that fashion design is my thing.

A year and a half ago I decided to try out working as an independant clothes-and fashion designer and run a shop with a few other designers ... that kind of work just doesn't agree with me at all. This is the same conclusion I came to, when I graduated from the textile department b.t.w. ...

Now I've turned back to the theatre, and I'm instantly feeling free as a bird, finally I feel like I love doing my work again. The project I'm working on now is the Christmas play at the National Theatre of Iceland. It's a greek play called "The Bacchae", I'm working closely with the Greek costume designer, Thanos, and the sewing department of the theatre, as a textile designer/-worker for the play.
This is the second time I've been asked to come to the National Theatre to work solely on the textiles for a play, the last time I was working on a play with Thanos as well, when he came to the country to do this play, he immediatly demanded that I work on the textiles with him ... I'm so honoured! Thanos's costume design is very rich with complicated and experimental textiles, so I'm pushing my limits of textile knowledge every day I work with him, gaining experience and learning so much ... ... did I mention that I love my job?

I've already got a project lined up for after the holidays, I'll be designing costumes and stage set, for a high school play. I'll be working with one of my favorite younge actors/directors, Ólafur Egill ... he's a very "think out side the box" kind of a guy, so I'm looking very much forward to working with him.

What I love best about my work, is working with fantastic and creative people, working together with them to reach a goal, finishing the project and feeling the closure of that work when it's over. And then starting on the next project, a completely different project based on a different story, different world, and sometimes working with different people. The feeling of working on reaching a goal together, and not having to think about who's idea is who's ... it really doesn't matter, just getting past all that and getting the job done the best way possible.

I've realized that for me to be happy in my work I have to accept my weaknesses and just work with what I'm truly good at, what I enjoy doing. I'm probably never going to be famous or even well known in society for what I do, but if the people I enjoy working with, enjoy working with me ... then that's exactly what I want.

I'll probably never stop doing textile experiments, making gowns and clothes on the side, when I get the urge (and time) to, and custom make them for the few people who know of me ... and who knows, maybe I'll show them at exhibitions every so often. But I know now that it's a complete waste of time for me to even think about trying to manufacture a clothes-line or make a buisness around my designs ... I just simply don't enjoy doing it enough and am not motivated in the marketing field at all.

It's a wonderful feeling to find one selfs role in life ... again. I feel relaxed and happy.

0 afskipti:

Post a Comment

<< Home